Sunday, October 11, 2015

Interviewing Tips and Less is More

Although everyone in the class still needs more practice with writing hard news leads and writing stories that follow the basic inverted pyramid structure, it's time to move towards other forms of journalistic writing, beginning with basic feature writing. Features rely more heavily on quotes and interviews, so we need to spend some time in and out of class considering and practicing what makes a good interview.

It's true that the best interviews are like good conversations. That is, in most cases the interview should be a comfortable give-and-take session where you and the person you interview talk with each other, not ateach other. Of course, if the interviewee is hostile or defensive, this may not be the case. But the three best things you can do to have a good interview are:

1) Prepare thoroughly by researching the topic and/or the person and list questions.
2) Take good notes and record the interview if possible.
3) Listen very attentively.

Being a good listener is the most important thing you can do. One of the biggest mistakes many inexperienced reporters make is worrying so much about what question to ask next, that they don't realize something important or unexpected that the interviewee has just said.

Here are a couple of short videos I would like you to watch. The first is some good advice about interviewing from former network anchor Katie Couric. The second is from National Public Radio's Scott Simon.


There's an old saying in journalism: "Less is more."

Forget about the times you wrote as much as you could about something in order to impress the teacher or give your reader the impression that you really know what you're talking about. In journalism brevity is key. Hard news stories must be concise or you'll confuse and lose the reader. While feature stories allow writers to be more descriptive and more creative, that doesn't mean you should necessarily start writing a lot more. Right now we're focusing on short profiles so that means first do thorough reporting and interviewing, then pick the very best information to write your story. Don't give the reader all of the information. While your words may be sacred to you, you have to be able to cut what's not necessary and edit wordy phrases.

Think of it as fat-free writing.

Click on the links below to see three more examples of 300-word stories by Brady Dennis, then comment on which you like the best and why.

Looking for a laugh

One minute and $123 dollars

As time goes by

14 comments:

  1. Clarisa RussenbergerOctober 11, 2015 at 9:06 AM

    My favorite 300-word story was as time goes by because I I liked how the author king of started and ended with the same idea-the unfunny days/nights. It definitely made me think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite story was Looking for a Laugh: in that 300-word story I felt the most emotion. Nigel's disappointment is raw and I can almost feel it too. I think in that story, Brady Dennis weaved his words just right. The reader feels sorry for him and his situation and is amazed at his determination. I don't think I would be so resilient after all the adversity Nigel faced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite 300-word story was As time goes by. During the summer, there are many of those fruit/vegatable stands by my house, so I can really picture what Brady Dennis is portraying. It really makes me think that people with jobs as small as owning a fruit stand have extraordinary stories. All of Dennis's stories seem to be about overlooked people in society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed "Looking for a Laugh". This story was very simple yet incredibly sad, and really made me think about how much a simple thing like a comedy night routine can effect somebody. I felt the embarrassment and the desire to please the croud while I read the story, which added to the disappointment. Additionally, the interviewer was able to recieve small bits of his past, speaking about his mother who died of cancer and his father who was shot. The writer's small observations made this story particularly heart-wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite story was "Looking for a Laugh". The author was descriptive in a way that toyed with your emotions, making you feel what Nigel Davis must have been feeling. I could feel all of the sadness and pain he must have gone through in his early life as well as his hope for a career in comedy and disappointment when it didn't work out. I also though that his determination after so many setbacks was very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite story was "Looking for a Laugh" because it was the one stroy out of the three that I really wanted to keep reading and learn more about. It found a way to tug at your heart and make you feel sorry for Nigel Davis. "Looking for a Laugh" provides a little back story on Davis which is truly sad and just adds to the drama. Though it sounds cruel, I enjoy reading about sad and emotional things so this was an interesting piece for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite story was "Looking for a Laugh". I liked this story the best because I think the author did a good job of describing how difficult Nigel Davis's life by giving examples, but keeping the story short at the same time. The description was heartfelt and made me very sad but was also very moving at the same time. I also liked how the author described Davis's passion for comedy and even though it wasn't a perfect part of his life, it was something he loved to do and he would always get another chance to impress people with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite story was "One Minute and 123 Dollars". I thought that the quotes were very empowering and they made my heart happy. The descriptions were also very strong and Brady Dennis portrayed New York and their love stories each in a beautiful way that tied the story together. I loved how Brady Dennis could take this couple's one minute long wedding ceremony and make it so much more. Even Rosa who many people would just see as a regular working woman was described to make a huge impact. I'm a sucker for love, and I thought this 300 word story was beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite short story was "Looking for a Laugh". It was only 300 words, yet the author made you feel like you personally knew Nigel Davis. I also think the author took the perfect sample/story out of his life because that moment has potential to make anyone who can relate emtional.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite story was "Looking for a Laugh" because although it was short and simple, it told an amazing story about a man who hasn't had the best life, but he shows how there is always someone/something that will be there for you. He teaches people how to enjoy the little things and not to take anything for granted. In this case, Nigel's fiancée was his someone to look forward to and his something that could help him get through the bad times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite story was "Looking for a Laugh" because I could strongly relate to his feelings during/after his comedy performance. Although the audience would only believe he is not funny, we are able to take a glimpse into his thoughts and feelings during his performance. Nigel had trouble focusing and doing his best this night, which is a very relatable point that we will all go through at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading each of these stories because they all offer a background story of everyday people, however, my favorite was "Looking for a Laugh" for a few reasons. It was such a sad touching story with a very moving ending. The story was very emotionally, and included subtle details that jumped out at me. For example, it says that he served in the military and life afterwards wasn't so great

    ReplyDelete
  13. (I had to comment twice because my first comment was not finished). The story was short and sweet, and altough it was only about 300 words, it contained a very moving backstory of a seemly ordinary man. The ending was my favorite however, the last line was like a happy ending. It made me smile when it said that he went back home to the woman who loved him, because it shows that Nigel has someone who loves and cares about him, and someone to support him. especially since he lost his parents and then had his heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked 'Looking for a Laugh'. It had great emotional impact and an interesting story of a guy who just wants to make people happy.

    ReplyDelete